4.08.2008

I Heart Hellas

Spring break was fantastical! Greece is beautiful and I would very much like to be there instead of in Potsdam. I got to see and do lots of amazing things which I will rattle off just in case anyone is dying to know..

Day One - 22 March
Arrived in Athens. Went to Sounion to the Temple of Poseidon which was absolutely gorgeous and windy. Also, the site of the temple was inhabited by fancy chickens which we believe were actually partridges. After exploring the hotel - mainly the rooftop terrace with a view of the Acropolis - we had dinner. Took a night time walk to the Acropolis and then got some sorbet in the Plaka.

Day Two - 23 March
Visited the Corinth Canal on our way to Epidarus to see the Theater and ruins there. Mycenae with the awsomeness of the Lioness Gate, the "lair of the minotaur" which is actually a dried up spring at the bottom of a corbel vaulted staircase, and the Treasury of Atreus. I had my first taste of Mousakas for lunch. We arrived in Nafplion and walked around all the little shops and the boardwalk. After dinner we went out for some wine with Dr. Curry and then ended up back at the hotel and tried ouzo.

Day Three - 24 March
I fell at Tyrins and my camera was destroyed. I was sad. The roads in Greece are very twisty and full of hairpin turns that make people very carsick. We arrived at Olympia around the same time as the protest/riot. We missed it though. We did, however, visit the museum at Olympia and saw some pretty sweet sculpture from the Temple of Zeus and some other findings. After the museum we went into the ancient site and wandered around. Sarah and I got whistled at for posing too close to the ruins. It was worth is though. Later that afternoon it rained and there was a slight thunderstorm which is apparently quite rare in Greece. Backlava is delicious.

Day Four - 25 March
We went a little crazy on the bus today. Stopped in a seaside town for lunch after crossing the Rion-Antion Bridge [I don't remember the name of the town]. I went into the Ionian Sea! After lunch we went to a Greek Orthodox Nunnery up in the mountains. When we arrived in Delphi we went for a hike up a mountain. It was absolutely gorgeous. I bought a camera. We went to "the spot" and had some drinks and played pool.

Day Five - 26 March
Woke up at 4am. Left the hotel at 5am. Hiked up the mountain from the day before to see the sunrise. It was cloudy and therefore a crappy sunrise. It was worth it though. Still beautiful even though the sky was "bluetan". The hike would later be known as the Dismal Delphi Deathmarch. After showering and having some breakfast we took off for the ancient site of Delphi where we saw the Sanctuary of Athena Pronaia, the Castilian Spring, and ancient Delphi with the Temple of Apollo. Delphi is overrun with kitties. At the Delphi museum I gave my speech on the Treasury of the Siphnians then wandered. After more bus riding we ended up in Athens where we had the best dinner yet. Traditional Greek food - 13 dishes for the main course [it was like a sampler platter] and some nasty ouzo.

Day Six - 27 March
Visited the National Museum in Athens. So much awesomeness there. Went to the Acropolis and was in awe. Saw the Temple of Zeus and the Pan-Athenaic Stadium. Had another fantastic dinner which included mousaka then met up with a friend who was studying in Wales. We walked around the Plaka and had some yummy sorbet.

Day Seven - 28 March
The Athenian Trail of Tears: left at 8:30 for a quick walk to two sites - Plato's Academy and Socrates Prison in the Agora. This ended up taking forever as we got lost and it began to rain. It was pretty sucky. Around one we were finally freed, said screw it to the Agora and the Stoa of Atalos and went for a nice warm meal. After a tiny bit of shopping we went back to the hotel where the events of the day made us a little crazy. Dinner tonight was at a Taverna where there was Greek music and dancing during dinner. It was a lot of fun.

When I got back into the states I stayed in New Jersey at my Uncle Kevin's house as I had an interview in NYC. I think the interview [at Christie's Education] went well and I am expecting to hear back from them in a couple of weeks.

Now I am bogged down with papers, presentations, and paintings to get done. Oh fun.

No comments: